Sunday, January 12, 2020

Abby Moschel- Saturday

Today we woke up early to head to the Met Cloisters, all the way uptown in Washington Heights. It’s basically this really big European church on top of a hill. There are so many large corridors with medieval architecture, stained glass windows depicting biblical scenes, gardens, and tapestries. My favorite site was the tapestries depicting the unicorn because it was so fascinating hearing Richard, our tour guide, talk about the meaning and symbolism behind them. He said that there is a dual meaning to the unicorn-- Jesus Crist and a lover of a virgin-- because it showed the virgin taming the unicorn and the purifying magic it had. After, we took a bus to the MET which was cool since most of us have never taken a public bus before. When we got to the museum, Lily P and I set off into the ancient Egypt exhibits, Greco-Roman arts, and European paintings. It was cool to see all of the old hieroglyphics and even a mummy. There was also a large pool in the Egyptian sect which was beautiful. Lily and I also saw a hidden exhibit of fashion in the basement and there were so many beautiful gowns all from the 1900s to now. I really enjoy seeing the modern and contemporary exhibits when I go to art museums because they always have the most interesting pieces. We probably spent at least 30 mins looking for it until we realized that the top floor of the exhibit was closed off for changing out the artwork. Luckily, we were able to find the bottom part of the exhibit. After the MET, I watched the Titans beat Baltimore with my roommates!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Clare Coleman- Last day!

Hello and happy Thursday! Although I am in the midst of packing and dreading leaving NYC behind, I can not help but smile when reflecting on...